Mandate and Priorities
- Lobby government ministries in order to move the aquaculture industry to environmental sustainable practices
- Monitor the progression of US and Canadian Legislation on Aquaculture
- Attend government and industry sessions that focus on aquaculture and/ or phosphorus in the Great Lakes
- Provide open communication and liaison between the GBA . First Nation Bands, and other NGO’s (Great Lakes United, David Suzuki Foundation, Sea Choice, Ontario Nature, etc.) who share concerns about open cage aquaculture in the Great Lakes basin.
- Monitor Provincial postings for license applications and regulation changes for Cage Aquaculture and submit comments.
- Educate the GBA Association members on the issues regarding cage aquaculture
- In coordination with Georgian Bay Forever, prepare to actively lobby at all levels of Government when US legislation for ballast water treatment on ocean vessels is passed.
- Support the education of GBA association members on
- How to identify new invasive species
- Impact of invasive species on their local aquatic environment
- Steps to prevent the spread of invasive species
- Liaise with the Georgian Bay Biosphere (GBB) on native fisheries projects
- Monitor and lobby the MNR on fisheries issues
- Educate members of the cottager’s associations on:
- Local fisheries initiatives (eg. bass nests, walleye restoration), cormorants, commercial fisheries, MNR studies and updated fishing regulation