Be Bear Wise
At the cottage:
- Do not feed the birds or any wild animals.
- Dispose of garbage often – municipal dumpsters or landfill and eliminate odours from garbage containers (freeze fish & meat or use secure, bear resistant containers is disposal is delayed.
- Keep the BBQ grill and drip tray clean.
- Feed pets indoors – not on deck or porch.
- Do not leave food out on tables or counter tops – not even if packaged.
- Do not leave candles, lotions, insect repellents or other fragrant products outside or near open windows or doors.
- Take a whistle, air horn, bear spray, walking stick, cell phone.
- Make a noise while walking to let the bear know you’re there – bells, whistling, talking, singing.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings – listen and look for bears and their signs i.e. large overturned rocks, scratch marks on trees, droppings etc.
- Control pets or keep them on a leash.